Welcome! Velkomin! Wilkommen! Bienvenue!





Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The story of a mitten

On my daily walk the other day, I found a beautiful, handmade, old, torn mitten lying around on the street. I felt so sorry for it and just couldn´t leave it there all alone... I guess nobody wanted it anymore, since the poor thing was in a really bad condition. 

But what´s it´s story? I wonder who spent a lot of hours, knitting this beautiful thing? Did the knitter make it for her/him self or for someone special? Was it a birthday present? Who has it been keeping warm and where has is been? Why did it get so torn up (beyond repairable)...
                             
Traditional icelandic/skandinavian pattern, maby soft and cozy kambgarn

  the back... poor thing - so far beyond repairable!

 Love the pattern on the thumb - very inspiring...

I also wanted to share a few wonderful moments with you... 
my big boy on a walk this weekend - wearing the lopi-sweater I dyed with flowers and lichen

he loves talking a long walk and helping me pick plants for my salves and yarndyeing
 

I used horse tail for dyeing...

Like usual we found some beautiful things on the beach like...

... feathers

... beautiful blue flowers growing on stones...

... crabs - dead and alive

... seaweed and an amzing view on Esjan (mountain)

... birdwatcher´s house

lucky me, living only 4 minutes from this place
 

our beach

isn´t it amazing how nature provides us with those colours??

8 comments:

  1. Finnst þér það ekki algengt að finna svona flíkur alls staðar?! Það er svo fyndið!
    Ég hugsa mjög oft um húfuna sem ég keypti í Cuzco fyrir nokkum árum síðan sem ég týndi á Þingvöllum, Hvað kom fyrir hana?!

    Síðasta myndin er SVO flott!!! Litirnir eru svo fallegir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk fyrir þetta með litina - þessir jurtalitir eru næstum alltaf og allir svo dásamlegir.

      Jú, ég er sammála þér mér finnst maður oft sjá flíkur liggjandi hér og þar - en þó eru þetta oftast ekki svona fallegir handgerðir hlutir einsog þessi vettlingur eða líklega húfan þín á Þingvöllum. Miðað við það hvað það eru margir útlendingar á Þingvöllum er ekki ólíklegt að húfan hafi endað erlendis??? :-)

      Delete
  2. Flott peysa. Virkilega flott litasamsetning. Og myndarstrákur c",)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takk fyrir Elín - jurtalitirnir klikka yfirleitt ekki og passa einhvernveginn næstum allir vel saman og já, þetta strákaskott er ansi vel heppnað :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I loved the last photo of your natural dyed yarn :) It looks great all gathered up on your shelf!

    The mitten is a sad sight... The knit and pattern looks pretty, so it was obviously once made with love and care.
    Thanks for sharing the nature photos, you live in such a beauful place!! And your son's knitted cardigan is gorgeous.

    What colour did you get from horsetail? I dyed with horsetail two years ago, and the yarn dyed a greyish colour. There is a lot of horsetail only a few minutes walk from my house, so I might try again this summer.

    Have a happy weekend, Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Hilde! :-) I love those natural colors!

      The mitten really is a sad sight... my mother thought it might have been attacked by a dog - and I think so might be right!

      I got yellow from the horsetail - a really pretty yellow... I dyed it again with Rumex acetosella, trying to make it more green... but it just became more yellow :-) I finally washed it out with salmiak spiritus and then it really got an amazing colour: golden mustard! I´ll post some pictures of it this week! :-)

      Delete
  5. Yndislega falleg peysa og lítill drengur :)
    Kær kveðja Guðný Björg :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takk fyrir Guðný Björg! :-) Bestu kveðjur!

      Delete